Same guy- new name - new website!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://InspiredRemodeling.com/blog
and update your bookmarks. Thanks! -Peter

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Set A Post For A Birdhouse

This must be 'odd jobs' week... After doing some siding repairs on their sunroom, a homeowner wanted me to put a birdhouse in her backyard on a post. They have quite a bit of wildlife back there and the birds had been kicked out of the house... (remember this post?)

So I bought a 10' pressure treated 4x4 and dug a 2' hole that was probably 10" across or so. I leveled the post and braced it using some spare lumber and a couple 2x4 stakes that I made. This would hold it in place while the cement set up.

I used Quickrete's fast-setting concrete mix that you can use for posts without even mixing! You just pour the mix into the hole and add 1/2 gallon of water for each bag you use. My hole took 2 bags.

Next, I built a couple brackets to hold the birdhouses out of pressure treated 2x4 and attached them using some 3" and 2 1/2" deck screws. By the time I had these brackets cut and assembled the concrete was solid and ready to go! The bag said 20-40 minutes to set up and it was right.

I attached the brackets and the birdie's new home. Now it's ready for it's first residents...

-Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment